Head of Criminal Law Practice, Attorney at Law
Specializes in criminal law, criminal proceedings, legal investigation.
Vladimir Alyoshin heads the Criminal Law Practice and defends clients in business-related criminal cases at all stages of the criminal process. He has an extensive experience in handling high-profile cases investigated by the Investigative Committee of Russia, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Military Chief Department of Investigation, determines the criminal law strategy and manages lawyer teams in complex criminal cases.
Under leadership of Vladimir Alyoshin, the criminal law practice of S&K Vertical has been repeatedly recognized as one of the best in Russia according to Pravo.ru-300 and Kommersant ratings. Vladimir Alyoshin is annually recognized as one of the leading lawyers in the category “Settlement of Disputes: Criminal Law” of the Kommersant rating.
Vladimir Alyoshin graduated from the Red Banner Military Institute of the Ministry of Defense of the U.S.S.R. in 1982. He is a Major of Justice (reserve), from 1982 till 1995 served as an investigator, assistant prosecutor, investigator of particularly important cases of the Military Prosecutor’s Office of the Leningrad Military District. Attorney at law since 1996.
Vladimir Alyoshin’s projects are marked highly by the Russian (Pravo.ru-300, Kommersant) ratings.
- Defended the director general of one of the largest industrial enterprises of Russia in a criminal case of abuse of office during execution of a state defense contract;
- Evaluated criminal law risks in a corporate conflict and elaborated methods of criminal law defense for the client.
- defended a class 1 state official in criminal cases under Articles 163 (extortion), 159 (fraud), 160 (misappropriation or embezzlement), 174 (legalization/laundering of assets) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation investigated by the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation. Vladimir Alyoshin represented his client in court within 2012—2015. The result of the defense was that the crime in the case has been demoted from Article 163 of the Criminal Code (extortion) to Part 2 of Article 330 of the Criminal Code (arbitrariness). The case includes 700 volumes, 22 episodes, the number of witnesses is more than 450 people;
- defended an accused at the stage of judicial investigation in the criminal case under Article 159 (fraud) of the Criminal Code. The criminal case was investigated by the Military Chief Department of Investigation. The client is the head of the military communications holding of the Ministry of Defense who was accused of embezzling budget funds in the amount of more than 700 million Rubles. The criminal case includes 340 volumes, the number of witnesses is more than 100 people;
- defended the CEO of a large unitary enterprise of one of the regions of Russia regarding the charges of abuse of official position and theft of funds worth more than RUB 1 billion. The case was initiated by the Internal Affairs Directorate in the Samara Region and terminated at the preliminary investigation stage for the absence of the fact of the crime;
- defended the shareholders and management of a large timber holding company in a number of criminal cases (Articles 138 (abuse of secrecy of correspondence, telephone, mail, telegraph and other communications), 159 (fraud) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation) investigated in the Siberian and North-Western Federal Districts, as well as at the State Prosecutor’s Office of the Russian Federation (2000—2005). All cases were terminated for lack of corpus delicti; in this project, Vladimir headed the criminal law part and a team of more than 30 lawyers in different regions of the country;
- defended the CEO of a large enterprise regarding the charges under Article 159 (fraud) of the Criminal Code. The criminal case was investigated by the Moscow Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Moscow, the damages amounted to RUB 40 million. He defended the client at the stage of the petition to the investigating authorities to change the measure of restraint to a more serious one. The method of restraint was not changed;
- defended the top mangers of a private oil producing enterprise in Siberia accused under Article 159 (fraud) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. The case was initiated by the Investigative Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia in the Sverdlovsk Region. The amount of damage exceeds 1 billion dollars. Two complex economic and legal expert examinations had been conducted which constituted more than 30 volumes of the case files. In the course of the legal investigation explanations of 50+ people were received, which proved the existence of hydrocarbon reserves, though the investigators insisted upon non-existence of such reserves;
- defended the CEO of a large oil refinery in the North-Western Federal District charged under Articles 171 (illegal entrepreneurship), 160 (misappropriation or embezzlement) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. The criminal case was investigated by the Investigative Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation for the North-West Federal District. The case was dismissed for lack of corpus delicti;
- defended the telecommunications holding officials on suspicion of involvement in the theft of shares in one of the subsidiaries. The criminal case was investigated by the Chief Investigative Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia in Moscow. Vladimir succeeded in proving that the clients were not involved in the crime;
- represented a bank in the Siberian Federal District in the case of theft of a letter of credit. The property of debtors was seized and fully compensated for the damage caused;
- represented the shareholders of a large sea-port company in the North-West Federal District of Russia in connection with damages caused to the company in excess of RUB 260 million. The investigators have carried out a thorough check; the initiation of a criminal case is being considered.